The afternoons on both days were given over to 'Open Space', where at the start of the session any attendee was free to propose a topic, something that they wanted to talk about, but not necessarily that they were already knowledgeable in. Being a relative newcomer to the whole DevOps thing, I proposed a session to find out how to get more involved in the community: where do people meet, which conferences are there, which mailing lists and IRC rooms should I be subscribing to?
I wrote down all the suggestions, and promised to share my notes. So here they are.
not strictly DevOps but tangentially interesting:
- FOSDEM was in Brussels in February
- Scale was in California in February
- Puppet Camp is very frequent, Puppet Conf is in San Francisco in August
- Kanban Days was mentioned but I couldn't find the link to, although I did find this
- Monitorama is in Boston later this month
- LOAdays is in April in Belgium
- BarCamp is self-organising and everywhere by the looks of things
- QCon London was at the start of March
Meetups and Google groups:
- London Devops
- London Web Performance Group
- London Devops which also incorporates LunchOps
- Hang Ops happens every Friday, is space-limited but a video is posted afterwards
- XTC: eXtreme Tuesday Club
- DevOps in the Ditch which is launching in June 2013
Freenode has the channel #devops, although ##infra-talk might be more active.
For people just getting started with IRC, IRCCloud comes recommended.
- Infra-talk is a syndication of blogs and tweets
- Planet Devops
- Mark Burgess , author of CFEngine
- James Govenor
- DevOps Weekly Newsletter
- Devops Cafe
- The Ship Show is not about ships
- Food Fight
- FLOSS Weekly, although it's not quite weekly
- This Week In Google is about cloud computing generally
- Getting Real by Fried and Hansson
- ReWork by Fried and Hansson
- The Toyota Way by Liker
- Lean Thinking by Womack
There's enough here to keep me busy for a while I think... if anyone knows of any more resources to add please feel free to comment below or email me.
Now to start planning my diary...